Hockenheim's Formula One future now appears to rest on a last-ditch effort by local government officials to try and get Bernie Ecclestone to reduce the race fee.
Following meetings between local officials in Stuttgart on Tuesday, all efforts to secure fresh backing for the event appear to have failed.
The local province of Baden-Wuerttemberg had already said that it would no longer provide financial support, and a request to the national government for help has fallen on deaf ears.
However, the provincial governor of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Guenther Oettinger, has said he wants to meet with Ecclestone to discuss the race's future.
Speaking at a press conference in Stuttgart on Tuesday, Oettinger was reported by German news agency SID as saying that he hoped Ecclestone would agree to discounting the race fee in a final effort to save the race.
With projected losses of six million Euros if the race goes ahead under the current terms, Karl-Josef Schmidt, CEO of the Hockenheimring GmbH company that runs the circuit, said the track may have no choice but to withdraw from its 2010 contract to host the event.