Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 5 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Honda confirm immediate F1 pull out

Jenson Button, HondaHonda have announced their immediate withdrawal from Formula One, the Japanese manufacturer's president and CEO Takeo Fukui confirmed on Friday morning.

After a night of frenzied speculation about the future of the Honda Racing team, Fukui told a hastily called press conference in Tokyo that difficult financial conditions had forced the company to make the decision.

"Honda must protect its core business activities and secure the long term as widespread uncertainties in the economies around the globe continue to mount," he said. "A recovery is expected to take some time.

"Under these circumstances, Honda has taken swift and flexible measures to counter this sudden and expansive weakening of the marketplace in all business areas.

"However, in recognition of the need to optimize the allocation of management resources, including investment regarding the future, we have decided to withdraw from Formula One participation.

"We will enter into consultation with the associates of Honda Racing F1 Team and its engine supplier Honda Racing Development regarding the future of the two companies. This will include offering the team for sale."

Autosport.com understands that Honda Racing team principal Ross Brawn and CEO Nick Fry are due to fly to Tokyo on Monday for talks with the Japanese chiefs about the future.

Sources suggest that Honda chiefs have been told that the team will be funded only until March - giving them three months to find a new buyer before they are shut down.

It is understood staff have been told that potential buyers have already been lined up, with Brawn already focused on securing an engine supply deal with Ferrari to try and keep the team in F1.

Fukui admitted that the withdrawal decision had been a hard one to take - especially as Honda had taken a victory as a car maker in 2006 and had already invested a huge amount of money in bidding to return to the top under the leadership of Brawn.

He added: "In its third era of Formula One activities, Honda has been participating in Formula One races from the 2000 season, initially with BAR, by adopting a new format of jointly developing racing machines. Subsequently, in a move to meet the changing environment surrounding Formula One, we switched to running a 100% Honda-owned team commencing with the 2006 season.

"Surmounting many challenges, the Honda Team achieved a grand prix victory in 2006, enabling Honda to receive overwhelming support from Honda fans around the world that were looking forward to greater success.

“It, therefore, has been an extremely difficult decision for us to come to this conclusion without having been able to fully meet the expectations of our fans.

“By making the best of what we have learned during these times of economic turmoil, coupled with the spirit of challenge gained through active participation in racing, we intend to continue with our commitment in meeting new challenges.

“Finally, we would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank our fans and all those who have supported Honda's Formula One efforts, including everyone in the world of Formula One."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
EXCLUSIVE: First image of Brawn GP car
Brawn GP take over Honda Racing
Fry: Honda announcement due soon
Mallya approved Mercedes Honda deal
Honda hold fire on shakedown plans
Honda edge closer to completing buyout
Honda preparing to test 2009 car
Honda team future looking 'good'
Honda: No 'serious' buyer for F1 team
Ecclestone says Honda rejected his help
F1 'must change' before Virgin joins
Ecclestone: Branson wants Honda deal
Honda: Shutting down team an option
Petrobras keen on future F1 return
Senna under no illusions about Honda
Virgin latest to be linked to Honda
Petrobras rules out sponsoring Honda
Honda confident of racing in 2009
Coulthard warns Button over future
Honda deny discussing bail-out
Honda silent on bail-out report
Richards hopes Honda can find buyer
Haug: No deadline for Honda deal
Fry: No conflict over team sale
Mercedes open to Honda engine supply
DC: Button right to stick with Honda
Ferrari rule out Honda engine supply
Richards rules out Honda buyout
Dozen parties still in Honda talks
Brawn says saving jobs is main priority
Honda: Slim reports pure speculation
Slim one of four speaking to Honda
Richards considering Honda rescue deal
Honda to reveal details of buyer search
Button: It's Honda team or nothing
Williams's Parr expects another team to go
Richards: Honda's exit a lesson for F1
Button hopeful Honda will find buyer
Brawn interview: phoenix from the flames
Button offered Honda contract exit
Honda will accept 'small price' for team
Button stays positive after Honda exit
Villeneuve says Honda decision 'political'
Q & A with Nick Fry
Fry says Honda have three offers
Q & A with Max Mosley
Mosley warns more could follow Honda
Whitmarsh: F1 must slash costs
FOTA hopes Honda's team is sold
Honda boss apologises to Button
Ecclestone says F1 will survive crisis
Fry 'hopeful' team will race in 2009
Brawn and Fry 'committed' to save team
Honda set to reveal F1 exit plans
Nakamoto leaves Honda F1 team
Haymarket