Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

FIA to review how F1 is governed

The FIA is to conduct a full review on how Formula One is governed in the future, in a move that could be viewed as a bid to enhance the governing body's control of the sport at the expense of Bernie Ecclestone

Following a meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, a statement was issued confirming that F1 teams were to be consulted on changes to the future direction of F1.

"The FIA will enter into a wide-ranging consultation with the Formula One teams to examine plans for improved efficiency, including new technical regulations for the Championship. This will also involve a review of the governance of Formula One," said the statement.

The latter sentence is understood to be a reference to the ongoing dispute between FIA president Max Mosley and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone over future control of the sport.

And the FIA's bid to increase its influence was further emphasised when it announced plans to create a Formula Two championship from the start of 2009 - something that would be in direct competition to the Ecclestone-supported GP2 Series.

"The FIA will invite tenders for a new feeder series for Formula One," the governing body said.

"This championship, called Formula Two, would be launched in 2009 and used as an inexpensive platform to develop emerging driver talent for Formula One. It is hoped this can be achieved within a budget of around €200,000 a car per season."

As autosport.com reported earlier this week, the FIA also discussed the possibility of raising the entry fees in F1 to cover equipment and services it provides.

However, it was decided that a possible 150 percent rise in fees would only be introduced after consultation with the teams. The entry fee for next year will therefore be 309,000 euro - a rise in this year's fee only to cover inflation.

The FIA also confirmed that applications for entries for the 2009 championship will be open from July 1 to 31.

Previous article Grapevine: Priaulx to get BMW F1 run at Brands
Next article Kovalainen goes fastest at Silverstone

Top Comments