Debon takes dominant maiden win
|By Michele Lostia
||Sunday, May 18th 2008, 11:37 GMT
Alex Debon took a dominant maiden victory in the 250cc French Grand Prix at Le Mans, leading every lap after starting from pole position.
The Spaniard didn't have the bast of starts but by the end of the first lap he was back in the lead and started opening a gap, which grew to as much as 13 seconds.
The race had begun on a damp track that dried as the event progressed, and Debon's choice of slick tyres proved to be the right one.
In the end the Aprilia rider controlled the race and won by almost five seconds over a fine battle for second, involving Italians Marco Simoncelli and Mattia Pasini.
Pasini looked set to take second after overtaking Yuki Takahashi with four laps remaining, but Simoncelli battled with the Japanese two laps later and after passing him he chased his fellow countryman.
The chase was successful, with the Gilera rider overtaking his Aprilia rider on the last corner of the last lap and setting the fastest lap of the race in the meantime.
Honda's Takahashi, who looked capable of getting close to Debon in the first laps of the race, had to be content with fourth, ahead of KTM's Mika Kallio and Gilera's Manuel Poggiali.
Eight seconds behind Poggiali, the KTMs of Hiroshi Aoyama and Julian Simon finished in seventh and eighth respectively, followed 15 seconds later by the Aprilias of Aleix Espargaro and Hector Faubel rounding up the top ten.
Alvaro Bautista, starting from the second slot on the grid, made a bad start and did not figure in the race, ending in a lowly 14th place.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Alex Debon Aprilia 47:27.406
2. Marco Simoncelli Gilera + 4.816
3. Mattia Pasini Aprilia + 4.998
4. Yuki Takahashi Honda + 5.770
5. Mika Kallio KTM + 6.197
6. Manuel Poggiali Gilera + 6.474
7. Hiroshi Aoyama KTM + 14.909
8. Julian Simon KTM + 17.526
9. Aleix Espargaro Aprilia + 32.925
10. Hector Faubel Aprilia + 36.719
11. Thomas Luthi Aprilia + 48.968
12. Hector Barbera Aprilia + 56.837
13. R.Locatelli Gilera + 57.827
14. Alvaro Bautista Aprilia +1:05.407
15. R.Wilairot Honda +1:24.336
16. Alex Baldolini Aprilia +1:24.577
17. Federico Sandi Aprilia + 1 lap
18. Imre Toth Aprilia + 1 lap
19. Russell Gomez Aprilia + 1 lap
Rider Bike Laps
Karel Abraham Aprilia 24
D.T.Pradita Yamaha 24
Lukas Pesek Aprilia 21
Fabrizio Lai Gilera 13
Eugene Laverty Aprilia 11