Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Ferrari not interested in signing Alonso

Bringing Fernando Alonso to Ferrari to partner world champion Kimi Raikkonen would not be desirable, team president Luca di Montezemolo said on Tuesday

Alonso denied this month that he had an escape clause in his contract with struggling Renault that might allow him to leave for Ferrari at the end of the Formula One season.

However, Spain's double world champion did say contracts were "very flexible" given his departure from McLaren last year.

Felipe Massa's shaky start for world champions Ferrari this season increased the speculation.

However, Massa won in Bahrain and now Montezemolo has said Alonso would not be the ideal driver.

"To line up a Raikkonen-Alonso double act would mean wanting to damage yourself. I want two equal drivers that work together," the president told Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport.

Di Montezemolo also said he would be devoting more time to Ferrari after stepping down as head of Italy's industry body.

Alonso, meanwhile, told El Pais newspaper on Monday that his future at Renault would depend on the team providing him with a car capable of fighting on top.

"There are a lot of factors to evaluate," the Spaniard said. "My first option is to stay with Renault if we manage to create a winning car, and the truth is that we are moving forwards.

"But what I do want is a car with which I can win. There are several, Williams, Toyota, BMW and Ferrari, of course, who are always on top no matter what. I wouldn't want to continue fighting to get into Q3."

Previous article Spain preview quotes: Force India
Next article Ferrari predict tough fight in Spain

Top Comments

Latest news