Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Ecclestone doubts Prodrive will be in F1

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is doubtful that Prodrive will be on the grid next season, as he questions the future of customer cars in the sport

Prodrive's plans to enter F1 in 2008 are currently on hold in the wake of Williams's threats of legal action if the team enter the championship with customer McLaren cars.

And although Prodrive are hoping to resume talks with McLaren once the FIA give the entry the green light at a future Court of Appeal hearing, Ecclestone told reporters on Friday that he thought the team would not make it for next year.

When asked by autosport.com what he thought was going to happen to Prodrive, Ecclestone said: "I have no idea. I think they have decided to give up, haven't they? I think they have.

"They were all excited about coming in and it is a pity for them."

Prodrive said last week they were still committed to competing in Formula One next year, but the uncertainty over their entry has left them with little time to make it to the grid in March next year.

"Prodrive remain committed to participating in Formula One," the team stated. "We are hopeful that the current dispute over our eligibility to race will be clarified later this month. In the meantime, we will consider all our alternative options for next season."

Prodrive's entry also depends on the teams agreeing on a new Concorde Agreement, which will define what customer teams are, and under what financial terms they participate in the sport.

The current teams have so far failed to reach a unanimous accord, and some are suggesting the matter may not even be resolved until the eve of the 2008 season.

Ecclestone said, however, that he did not think customer cars should be allowed in F1 and made it clear he would prefer another manufacturer to take the 12th slot.

"Probably not," he said when asked if customer cars should be allowed in F1. "The teams say that the real constructors are spending half a billion (US dollars) a year and Prodrive's budget was about 75 million. It is not fair.

"I should think there will be 11 teams next year. (For 2009) let's see who the 12th is, it is open. Let's have a look and see.

"I would like to see another manufacturer coming in. There is one or two sort of having a look."

Previous article Raikkonen leads wet practice 1 - Brazil
Next article Hamilton tops practice 2 - Brazil

Top Comments