McLaren won't rush Alonso decision
|By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper||Monday, October 8th 2007, 09:36 GMT|
McLaren boss Ron Dennis insists he will not be making any decisions about Fernando Alonso's future at the team until after the end of the season, despite the extraordinary outburst by the Spaniard at last weekend's Chinese Grand Prix.
Alonso launched an open attack on his treatment by the team to Spanish journalists after qualifying, claiming he deserved more from the outfit and that Dennis was wrong to criticise him for remaining silent about suggestions of favouritism with the team.
"It's better to be silent than to lie, that's for sure," said Alonso about Dennis' remarks. "And that's something he should do more often and I think the team would do better. Many of the scandals McLaren have been involved in off the track this year have been created by his things.
"Each one has his own philosophy, he has his, and we all understand it. I have spoken a lot with (David) Coulthard, with (Juan Pablo) Montoya, with Kimi (Raikkonen), and they have all left the team and found a lot of happiness. There must be a reason."
Alonso's comments were his most outspoken criticisms of the team and Dennis so far this year, and fuelled speculation that the Spaniard will not be remaining at the team beyond the end of the year.
But Dennis has made it clear that Alonso's remarks will not force him to rush into making a decision for 2008, with him sticking to his plan to discuss the situation only once the season has finished.
"We'll address the issue of drivers in respect of 2008 after Brazil," said Dennis when asked to comment on Alonso's remarks.
"We've said that all the way along. We've got binding contracts with both drivers and until any dialogue is opened up after the next race, that's the way it will remain."