Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Heidfeld apologises to Yamamoto

Nick Heidfeld has apologized to Sakon Yamamoto after mistakenly blaming the Super Aguri driver for blocking him on the final lap in China

The German was furious after the race in Shanghai when his efforts to hold onto fourth place on the final lap were wrecked when he lost time battling with Yamamoto's teammate Takuma Sato.

Having then got caught up in a collision with Rubens Barrichello at the hairpin after being slowed by the Super Aguri car, Heidfeld was told that Yamamoto had been the guilty party - and he stormed over to the Japanese driver to vent his frustration.

"I was not sure actually who it was," Heidfeld told autosport.com in Suzuka. "I thought when I saw it on the track that it was Sato, but then someone said to me that actually it was Yamamoto.

"So I went straight to him and complained. And he obviously didn't know what I was speaking about, which made me even more angry, because I just thought: 'How can you not know what I am talking about?'"

Heidfeld only found out about his case of mistaken identity late on Sunday evening in Shanghai and, realizing his error, he went to see Yamamoto once he arrived at Suzuka today.

"I've seen him and talked about it and it is fine now," added Heidfeld.

And although he is still disappointed by losing fourth place to Button, Heidfeld has said he is no longer as angry as he was on the Sunday night in Shanghai.

"It took a couple of days to get over it, but now I am fine," he explained. "It was very disappointing. I thought I had the fourth position quite safe, a good gap to the people behind, but then it was taken away from me."

Previous article Renault reshuffle their pitstop crew
Next article Glock's BMW test postponed

Top Comments