Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Feature
NASCAR Cup
Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

Formula 1
Canadian GP
“A serious matter” – why the FIA hit Racing Bulls with a €30,000 fine when Lawson stopped on track

BRDC denies it has activated British GP break clause already

British Grand Prix chiefs insist no decision will be made about the future of Silverstone's Formula 1 race until this summer

The track's owner that British Racing Drivers' Club has been evaluating whether to activate a break clause in its contract that would allow it to drop F1 before 2020 - a decision that has to be made prior to this year's GP at the track.

Some recent media reports suggested the BRDC had already made that call, and hoped activating the break clause would give it chance to renegotiate the terms of its agreement.

But on Friday night the BRDC issued a statement denying it had made such a move and insisting it would not make a decision either way for some months.

BRDC chairman John Grant said: "Our objective is to preserve the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come but, of course, we can only do this if it makes economic sense.

"As I have said before, we will be considering over the next six months if we should give notice of our intention to exercise the break clause in our Grand Prix contract at the end of 2019.

"No decision has been made, or will be made, until mid-July.

"In the meantime, we will be using this period to explore with all interested parties, hopefully in private, various ways in which we might work out a more sustainable proposition."

Grant recently underlined to Autosport that the BRDC activating the break clause would be "a basis for further negotiation" rather than a definite end to F1 at Silverstone.

Previous article Formula 1 should have eRaces, Toro Rosso boss Tost believes
Next article New Formula 1 rules for 2017 could still favour Mercedes - Button

Top Comments