Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Button says decision not to race in F1 in 2017 was made too early

Jenson Button has admitted his decision not to race in Formula 1 in 2017 was made too early, affecting his mindset, even though he is happy with the decision

The 36-year-old chose to step down from a race seat in 2017 during the August break, with a public announcement made at the Italian Grand Prix in September.

Since the August break, Button's form has been patchy and while there have been strong qualifying performances at Spa and Sepang, he has only scored points twice in eight races compared to team-mate Fernando Alonso's five and has been eliminated in Q1 three times.

"I still feel August is quite early, personally," said Button when asked about the timing of his announcement.

"When a driver decides he is going to leave or retire from the sport, you should try and do it as late as possible.

"I did it way too early. I think the mindset definitely changes, which is a shame.

"I didn't think it would, but it definitely does."

Button will start his 305th grand prix, and possibly his last if he does not return to a race seat in 2018, in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

He stressed that he does not see this as the last race before retirement, stressing that he intends to keep racing until he's 70.

"Tomorrow is a big day, but I don't go into the last race saying 'I can't wait until it's over'.

"I go into the last race excited, knowing that I'm going to have a great race and I will give it my all as I do every grand prix.

"I'm definitely not retiring. I'll be working here with the team next year, I'll be racing in other things and in the future I will be driving until I'm 70-odd years old.

"I'm not retiring until then - it's just whether I get paid to do it or not, that's the only difference."

Button also said that he's more concerned about enjoying the race than his result.

"That's what I'm looking forward to, a good race [but] to be fair it doesn't matter where I finish.

"It's more about the fight and having fun out there."

Previous article Sebastian Vettel too aggressive with Abu Dhabi F1 qualifying approach
Next article Would Mercedes let Hamilton back Rosberg up in F1 title decider?

Top Comments

Latest news