Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - practice

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - practice

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Ducati hits out at 'unsporting' MotoGP winglet ban

Ducati team manager Gigi Dall'Igna believes the ban on winglets in MotoGP is an "unsporting" attempt by its rivals to deny it an advantage

The Italian squad was the first to begin experimenting with aerodynamic appendages on its bikes' front-ends during 2015, and the trend spread to the point where all five manufacturers were running winglets by early in the '16 season.

But amid safety concerns, the Grand Prix Commission announced at Assen last month that winglets would be banned next year as manufacturers could not reach consensus over them.

Dall'Igna argued safety was used as a pretext by the likes of Yamaha and Honda to peg Ducati back.

"We have opened a path and they have stopped us," he told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

"There was no danger situation and a bike with winglets is decisively safer, since wheelies are a problem with the front wheel losing direction control.

"It makes me sad that something as important as safety has been used as an excuse by the GP Commission to block a technical solution that gave us an advantage."

"For me it's unsporting behaviour."

He added that MotoGP now needed "stable regulations with no changes just because someone has managed to find an advantageous solution".

Dall'Igna said it initially appeared the Japanese manufacturers might be willing to compromise with Ducati over wings but the agreement fell apart.

"We were working for a reasonable agreement," he said.

"When we met on Friday [at Assen] it looked on the cards, but on the following day they backtracked."

He also criticised the role of factory teams alliance the Motorcycle Sport Manufacturers Association.

"The MSMA is an association destined to make little sense," said Dall'Igna.

"It hasn't managed to find a reasonable agreement on any issue for more than one year."

Translation by Michele Lostia

Previous article MotoGP race winner Jack Miller staying with Marc VDS Honda in 2017
Next article MotoGP aims for four bikes per manufacturer and 24-strong grid

Top Comments

Latest news