Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Fernando Alonso: My future is in Ferrari F1 team's hands

Fernando Alonso admits a decision on his Formula 1 future rests entirely with Ferrari, after hinting he would accept leaving Maranello if his team thinks it best for its future

Although Alonso has a contract until the end of 2016, he and the team are evaluating their future together amid Ferrari's restructuring and renewed recovery push.

Ferrari's management is particularly eager to know that Alonso is fully committed to pushing the Maranello outfit forward rather than openly evaluating options elsewhere if its performance does not improve.

ANALYSIS: Alonso and Ferrari reach critical point

Alonso has previously expressed a determination to finish his career at Ferrari, but ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix he admitted the matter was no longer so clear-cut.

While not openly talking of an exit from Ferrari, he admitted that he would accept doing whatever his team felt was best.

"I always put the interest of the team and the interest of the tifosi - this big brand Ferrari that is bigger than all of us - in front of my own interest," he said.

"So if there is something to talk about in the future and something better for Ferrari, I will do whatever."

GARY ANDERSON: Should Alonso go back to McLaren?

When asked directly if he could rule out racing for McLaren or Red Bull over the next two years, he responded: "This is a very difficult question to answer. And I will repeat the answer, probably I will do the best for Ferrari."

ALONSO SAYS HIS MIND IS MADE UP

While a firm decision over his future is expected to wait until Alonso has spoken to team principal Marco Mattiacci, the Spaniard did reveal on Thursday that he was pretty set on what he wanted to do in 2015.

"At the end of the day you have an idea in your mind and my mind is already set probably," he said.

"I've been extremely lucky to be able to choose where I drive in Formula 1, which is not normal.

"You arrive wherever you can, and you move teams where you have the possibility, or we see many examples, also this year, of drivers who will probably not be here next year and they are doing a very good job.

"So I have been extremely lucky to choose my own future and I will do my best, but together with Ferrari, taking the minimum risk."

Bianchi 'ready' for Ferrari if Alonso goes

He also admitted that he was desperate to get back to winning ways and add the third world title that he so desires.

"I want to win and I'm ready to maximise the performance of this moment of my career that has been the best moment," he said. "I feel good. I feel fit, I feel confident.

"I've adapted the driving style to the new regulations every year. I feel that I'm in the best moment of my career and hopefully I can take the benefit of this in the coming years and add in some titles in the pocket and retire with more than two."

Previous article Williams F1 team replaces steering assembly on Bottas' car
Next article Japanese GP: FIA monitoring typhoon amid Suzuka F1 race worries

Top Comments

Latest news