Stefan Wilson gets 2015 IndyCar deal with Fan Force United
|By Mark Glendenning||Friday, June 27th 2014, 12:57 GMT|
Fan Force United has signed Stefan Wilson ahead of a planned full-time move into IndyCar in 2015.
The team, which currently races in Indy Lights, confirmed on Friday that it has a letter of intent from a sponsor, Jilcat Industries, for its 2015 programme, and team co-owner Chris Williams said that he believes Wilson will be the perfect fit for the team's first full-time IndyCar campaign.
"We are extremely excited to have Stefan as the driver to build our team around," he said.
"He embodies what FFU is about. Aside from being quick, he has that never-say-die attitude. We can't wait to get him onto the track."
Wilson's sole IndyCar appearance up to this point was with Dale Coyne Racing in Baltimore last year, and the 24-year-old Brit said that he is thrilled to finally get a full-time drive.
"I had the chance to race for Fan Force at the Indy Lights finale at Fontana in 2012," he said.
"They didn't know much about me and I didn't know much about them going into it, we secured their best result of the year together that weekend and became great friends in doing so.
"There's still a lot of work to do before it's set in stone, but knowing that I'm one step closer to achieving my dream of competing in the Indianapolis 500 is really exciting.
"I'm looking forward to having a full time ride again and being able to apply myself 100 per cent to this programme."
The team said that it is hoping to field Wilson in "one or two" IndyCar events later in the season in addition to its plans for 2015.
Fan Force United's sole IndyCar foray up to this point came in 2012, when it fielded Jean Alesi at the Indianapolis 500.
That endeavour ended with the Frenchman being black-flagged after just nine laps due to the underpowered Lotus engine.