Jolyon Palmer set the pace on the first day of GP2 2014 pre-season testing in Abu Dhabi.
The Briton, who switched from Carlin to DAMS for a shot at this year's title, worked his way down to a 1m49.126s in the final hour of the day.
That left him just one tenth of a second clear of Mitch Evans, who will drive for 2013 teams' champion Russian Time this season.
Palmer's team-mate Stephane Richelmi finished half a second down the road, in third overall.
Daniel Abt, driving for Force India junior team Hilmer, wound up fourth, just ahead of Formula Renault 3.5 convert and McLaren protege Stoffel Vandoorne.
GP2 race winners Johnny Cecotto and Stefano Coletti sandwiched Felipe Nasr in the fight for sixth, with Coletti the last man to break the 1m50s barrier on day one.
Rio Haryanto led Caterham stable-mate Alexander Rossi in the morning session, but the pair both dropped down the order as conditions improved in the afternoon.
Rossi wound up ninth overall, while Haryanto was 13th, fractions ahead of last year's European Formula 3 champion Raffaele Marciello.
Four red flags - for Artem Markelov, Facu Regalia, Julian Leal and Axcil Jefferies - punctured the day.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Rio Haryanto Caterham 1m50.862s 13
2. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m51.135s 12
3. Jolyon Palmer DAMS 1m51.232s 11
4. Stephane Richelmi DAMS 1m51.479s 11
5. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m51.590s 16
6. Johnny Cecotto Trident 1m51.599s 9
7. Julian Leal Carlin 1m51.609s 12
8. Jon Lancaster MP Motorsport 1m51.765s 13
9. Rene Binder Arden 1m51.893s 9
10. Mitch Evans Russian Time 1m51.928s 17
11. Stefano Coletti Racing Engineering 1m52.121s 10
12. Kimiya Sato Campos 1m52.179s 24
13. Daniel Abt Hilmer 1m52.259s 18
14. Facu Regalia Hilmer 1m52.398s 10
15. Nathanael Berthon Trident Racing 1m52.586s 12
16. Raffaele Marciello Racing Engineering 1m52.621s 16
17. Arthur Pic Campos 1m52.820s 23
18. Conor Daly Lazarus 1m53.022s 16
19. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m53.041s 8
20. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs Rapax 1m53.163s 10
21. Axcil Jefferies Trident 1m53.686s 20
22. Artem Markelov Russian Time 1m53.807s 12
23. Takuya Izawa ART 2m23.231s 27
24. Stoffel Vandoorne ART 2m23.750s 28
25. Andre Negrao Arden no time 0
26. Daniel de Jong MP Motorsport no time 0
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Jolyon Palmer DAMS 1m49.126s 24
2. Mitch Evans Russian Time 1m49.292s 13
3. Stephane Richelmi DAMS 1m49.756s 28
4. Daniel Abt Hilmer 1m49.777s 22
5. Stoffel Vandoorne ART 1m49.790s 28
6. Johnny Cecotto Trident 1m49.892s 19
7. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m49.896s 29
8. Stefano Coletti Racing Engineering 1m49.963s 23
9. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m50.018s 25
10. Arthur Pic Campos Racing 1m50.204s 19
11. Takuya Izawa ART 1m50.219s 37
12. Andre Negrao Arden 1m50.241s 22
13. Rio Haryanto Caterham 1m50.256s 24
14. Raffaele Marciello Racing Engineering 1m50.261s 24
15. Daniel de Jong MP 1m50.265s 6
16. Facu Regalia Hilmer 1m50.289s 17
17. Jon Lancaster MP 1m50.434s 17
18. Rene Binder Arden 1m50.496s 23
19. Julian Leal Carlin 1m50.541s 27
20. Artem Markelov Russian Time 1m50.925s 21
21. Conor Daly Lazarus 1m50.933s 25
22. Nathanael Berthon Lazarus 1m51.026s 20
23. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m51.043s 23
24. Axcil Jefferies Trident 1m51.300s 29
25. Kimiya Sato Campos 1m51.331s 20
26. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs Rapax 1m51.437s 16