Sam Tordoff took his first British Touring Car victory in the opening encounter at Snetterton.
Poleman Tordoff made a good start to lead MG team-mate Jason Plato and reigning champion Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic) into Riches.
The rookie gradually edged away from Plato, who came under increasing pressure from Shedden and the soft tyre-shod WSR BMW of Colin Turkington.
Andrew Jordan's Eurotech Civic was also close to the group in the late laps, after twice swapping places with Aron Smith on the opening tour. But Plato held on to complete an MG one-two.
Smith eventually overcame Adam Morgan's challenge to complete the top six in his Motorbase Ford Focus.
Championship leader Matt Neal's works Honda Civic started 11th and made it to eighth in the opening part of the race.
But Mat Jackson's Focus, up from 13th, caught him and started applying pressure in the closing stages.
When Neal ran wide at Williams on lap 10 of 12, Jackson powered by to finish eighth.
With James Kaye (AmD Honda Civic) and Liam Griffin (Motorbase Focus) both hitting troubles, S2000 pacesetter Lea Wood had an even easier run to Jack Sears Trophy honours.
Race one - 12 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Sam Tordoff MG 23m55.798s
2. Jason Plato MG +2.514s
3. Gordon Shedden Honda +3.564s
4. Colin Turkington WSR BMW +3.829s
5. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda +4.313s
6. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford +8.908s
7. Adam Morgan Ciceley Toyota +10.845s
8. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford +14.590s
9. Matt Neal Honda +16.005s
10. Rob Collard WSR BMW +16.569s
11. Jack Goff Hard Vauxhall +23.480s
12. Tom Onslow-Cole Hard VW +24.572s
13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda +29.742s
14. Nick Foster WSR BMW +33.588s
15. Rob Austin Austin Audi +33.771s
16. Ollie Jackson Speedworks Toyota +34.289s
17. Daniel Welch Welch Proton +35.331s
18. Dave Newsham Speedworks Toyota +37.361s
19. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall +40.771s*
20. David Nye Welch Ford +57.834s*
21. Robb Holland Hard Vauxhall +1m03.162s
22. Andy Neate IP Chevrolet +1m14.195s
Warren Scott BMR VW 11 laps*
Will Bratt Austin Audi 9 laps
Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 6 laps*
James Kaye AmD Honda 4 laps*
Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 2 laps