Will Davison led a Ford Performance Racing one-two in the first Townsville V8 Supercars race after a late pursuit of Craig Lowndes.
Triple 8 had struggled in qualifying on hard tyres, with Lowndes only 12th on the grid and his championship-leading team-mate Jamie Whincup back in 16th.
It therefore gambled on putting Lowndes on soft tyres for the first stint, making him unique in the field.
He stormed through to first within 10 laps, and by the half-distance pitstops his lead was 21 seconds.
At that stage his main rival was Shane van Gisbergen. The Tekno driver had taken pole, lost out to Davison off the line, then dived back past the Ford in a final-corner move that let Fabian Coulthard through as well.
Davison soon repassed the Brad Jones Holden, but van Gisbergen inched away.
Then it all fell apart at the Tekno pitstop. Van Gisbergen was accidentally short-fuelled and also incurred a penalty for coming off the jacks with the fuel hose still attached. A likely win became a 17th-place finish.
Davison and team-mate Mark Winterbottom therefore led the chase of Lowndes, now the only man on hards.
The leader's big cushion soon fell away, with Davison taking the lead 13 laps from the end and Winterbottom soon following.
Coulthard had lost out to Winterbottom when the FPR car took softs a few laps early, but passed Lowndes to claim the final podium spot.
Lowndes hung on ahead of Jason Bright and James Courtney to retain fourth. Whincup fought through to seventh.
Results - 70 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Will Davison FPR Ford 1h28m39.5967s
2. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford +4.0098s
3. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden +15.4676s
4. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden +17.7900s
5. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden +19.3146s
6. James Courtney HRT Holden +26.6021s
7. Jamie Whincup Triple 8 Holden +30.0030s
8. Garth Tander HRT Holden +32.3723s
9. Alex Davison Schwerkolt/FPR Ford +32.8526s
10. Chaz Mostert Dick Johnson Ford +37.7396s
11. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford +37.9882s
12. Rick Kelly Nissan +48.7332s
13. Alexandre Premat GRM Holden +50.5834s
14. Scott McLaughlin GRM Holden +51.6499s
15. James Moffat Nissan +58.0549s
16. Todd Kelly Nissan +1m02.1387s
17. Shane van Gisbergen Tekno Holden +1m03.1458s
18. Michael Caruso Nissan +1m08.3986s
19. Maro Engel Erebus Mercedes +1m12.0292s
20. Dean Fiore Dumbrell Holden +1 lap
21. David Wall Britek/BJR Holden +2 laps
22. Jonathon Webb Tekno Holden +2 laps
23. Tim Blanchard Dick Johnson Ford +2 laps
24. Scott Pye Dumbrell Holden +2 laps
25. Tony D'Alberto D'Alberto Holden +4 laps
Russell Ingall Walkinshaw/HRT Holden 53 laps
Lee Holdsworth Erebus Mercedes 52 laps
Tim Slade Rosenberg/Erebus Mercedes 34 laps