Carl Edwards took pole position for this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Michigan.
The Roush Fenway driver set his lap of 35.564s (202.452mph) early in the session, as he was the sixth of 44 cars to run.
For a while it seemed as if Edwards would have a relatively straightforward wait to be declared the polesitter as it appeared he had enjoyed the best of the track conditions, with only Kasey Kahne getting near his time in the cars that followed.
However, Paul Menard offered a hint that the track was still quick when he went third, behind Kahne, in the closing stages, and attention then turned to Furniture Row's Kurt Busch, who was one of the last to run.
Busch ended up missing out by one tenth of a second, but he did enough to join Edwards on the front row at the expense of Kahne.
Menard's lap was eventually good enough for fourth, while Aric Almirola and Joey Logano will share row three on the grid.
Next up was Nationwide Series frontrunner Austin Dillon, making his fifth Cup start of the season for Richard Childress Racing, while behind him Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch and Juan Pablo Montoya completed the top 10.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Carl Edwards Roush Fenway Ford 35.564s
2. Kurt Busch Furniture Row Chevrolet 35.665s + 0.101s
3. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Chevrolet 35.783s + 0.219s
4. Paul Menard Childress Chevrolet 35.856s + 0.292s
5. Aric Almirola Petty Ford 35.863s + 0.299s
6. Joey Logano Penske Ford 35.870s + 0.306s
7. Austin Dillon Childress Chevrolet 35.887s + 0.323s
8. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Toyota 35.898s + 0.334s
9. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Toyota 35.918s + 0.354s
10. Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 35.920s + 0.356s
11. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Toyota 35.927s + 0.363s
12. Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Chevrolet 35.982s + 0.418s
13. Martin Truex Jr Waltrip Toyota 35.991s + 0.427s
14. Tony Stewart Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 36.038s + 0.474s
15. Ricky Stenhouse Jr Roush Fenway Ford 36.043s + 0.479s
16. Brad Keselowski Penske Ford 36.045s + 0.481s
17. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Chevrolet 36.056s + 0.492s
18. Jeff Burton Childress Chevrolet 36.062s + 0.498s
19. Greg Biffle Roush Fenway Ford 36.112s + 0.548s
20. Bobby Labonte Phoenix Chevrolet 36.116s + 0.552s
21. Kevin Harvick Childress Chevrolet 36.139s + 0.575s
22. Mark Martin Waltrip Toyota 36.142s + 0.578s
23. Marcos Ambrose Petty Ford 36.237s + 0.673s
24. Casey Mears Germain Ford 36.255s + 0.691s
25. Trevor Bayne Wood Brothers Ford 36.285s + 0.721s
26. David Gilliland Front Row Ford 36.297s + 0.733s
27. Clint Bowyer Waltrip Toyota 36.310s + 0.746s
28. Jamie McMurray Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 36.349s + 0.785s
29. Jeff Gordon Hendrick Chevrolet 36.378s + 0.814s
30. Michael McDowell Parsons Ford 36.508s + 0.944s
31. David Ragan Front Row Ford 36.583s + 1.019s
32. AJ Allmendinger JTG Daugherty Toyota 36.587s + 1.023s
33. David Reutimann BK Toyota 36.683s + 1.119s
34. David Stremme Swan Toyota 36.685s + 1.121s
35. Ryan Newman Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 36.784s + 1.220s
36. Dave Blaney Baldwin Chevrolet 36.826s + 1.262s
37. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 36.942s + 1.378s
38. Josh Wise Front Row Ford 37.131s + 1.567s
39. Ken Schrader FAS Lane Ford 37.288s + 1.724s
40. JJ Yeley Baldwin Chevrolet 37.313s + 1.749s
41. Travis Kvapil BK Toyota 37.338s + 1.774s
42. Joe Nemechek NEMCO Toyota 37.502s + 1.938s
43. Mike Bliss Humphrey Smith Toyota 38.472s + 2.908s