Ryan Briscoe set to contest Le Mans 24 Hours for first time in 2013
|By Gary Watkins
||Monday, March 18th 2013, 18:19 GMT
IndyCar refugee Ryan Briscoe looks set to contest the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time this season.
The former factory Porsche driver, who was left without an IndyCar drive after being released by Penske over the winter, is likely to be named as part of the Level 5 Motorsports LMP2 squad's Le Mans line-up after a victorious debut with the team in last weekend's Sebring 12 Hours.
Team owner Scott Tucker has indicated that it is his intention to share his solo HPD ARX-03b at Le Mans with Briscoe and Marino Franchitti - a repeat of the winning Level 5 line-up at Sebring - but has so far stopped short of confirming them until he announces his plans for the remainder of the season.
Briscoe, who raced with the Penske Porsche team in the ALMS in 2007-08, said: "It looks like it is the plan at the moment and I am really excited about it.
"As my career has gone along, I've always said that one day I would like to do Le Mans and, if I can go it this year, it would be awesome."
Level 5 made a late decision to compete at Sebring and has yet to announce its plans for the remainder of the ALMS. Should it confirm a full assault, it seems certain that Briscoe will continue with the team.
Briscoe is also hopeful of returning to IndyCar for a one-off in the Indy 500 in May and also expects to contest the three V8 Supercars two-driver races at Sandown, Bathurst and Surfers Paradise in his homeland later in the season.
"If Level 5 continue and I end up doing a full season in the ALMS, I do Le Mans, the 500 and three races Down Under, it is going to be a busy year," he said.