Dragon says split with Legge was in the team's best interest
|By Mark Glendenning||Friday, February 15th 2013, 17:30 GMT|
Dragon Racing has responded to Katherine Legge's threat of legal action by acknowledging that it has ended its relationship with the Briton.
The team, however, has refrained from commenting on the details of the split.
Dragon announced earlier this week that it has signed Sebastian Saavedra to replace Legge as Sebastien Bourdais' team-mate for the 2013 IndyCar season.
Legge reacted by issuing a statement claiming that she still has a contract with TrueCar, the primary sponsor of the #6 entry that Saavedra will drive, and that she is investigating her legal options.
TrueCar CEO Scott Painter said that he felt that the time had come to explore different driver opportunities.
"We have thoroughly enjoyed our association with Katherine, but after 12 months of collaboration, hard work, and TrueCar's sincere efforts to resurrect Katherine's open-wheel career, TrueCar has decided to pursue a different driver for 2013 IndyCar season," he said.
Dragon Racing president Jay Penske said that he believed that the change was in the best interest of his team.
"We've had to make some difficult choices this off-season, based on the goal of winning races and doing what is best our partners, sponsors, and team," he said.
"And I adamantly believe with the experience of our crew, our engineers, drivers, and the tremendous support of our partners, we have a team in 2013 that can compete for the championship."
A team statement claimed that efforts to resolve the disagreement with Legge and her representatives had been unsuccessful.
"Aside from acknowledging the existence of the dispute, due to the confidential nature of the dispute, neither of the parties will be making any further public statements regarding this matter," the statement said.
"But both TrueCar and Dragon Racing have ample confidence that they will undoubtedly prevail."