Toyota claimed pole position for Sunday's FIA World Endurance Championship finale in China by exactly one tenth of a second.
Alex Wurz pulled out a lap of 1m48.273s around the Shanghai International Circuit to leapfrog early pacesetter Allan McNish in the best of the Audi R18 e-tron quattros.
The second Audi was a further two tenths behind in the hands of Andre Lotterer.
Wurz, who shares the solo Toyota TS030 HYBRID with Nicolas Lapierre, said: "I must say that the car was better today than the driver: I screwed up the last sector on my pole lap and lost a couple of tenths."
The top three LMP1 privateers were separated by just three hundredths of a second in the battle for fourth place on the grid behind the factory cars. Karun Chandhok just came out on top in the JRM Racing HPD ARX-03a from Neel Jani's Rebellion Racing Lola-Toyota B12/60.
James Rossiter took the first pole position for the Lotus LMP2 squad. The Briton put his Lola-Judd/BMW B12/80 two tenths clear of the ADR-Delta ORECA-Nissan 03 driven by John Martin.
Pole in GTE Pro went to factory Aston Martin Vantage GTE driven by Darren Turner.
The Briton ended up seven tenths clear of the Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 911 GT3-RSR driven by Richard Lietz.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. P1 Wurz/Lapierre Toyota 1m48.273s
2. P1 Kristensen/McNish Audi 1m48.373s
3. P1 Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi 1m48.597s
4. P1 Brabham/Chandhok/Dumbreck JRM HPD 1m51.003s
5. P1 Prost/Jani Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m51.019s
6. P1 Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka HPD 1m51.037s
7. P1 Belicchi/Primat/Chen Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m51.394s
8. P1 Baguette/Kraihamer/Sato OAK Pescarolo-Honda 1m52.172s
9. P2 Charouz/Rossiter/Weeda Lotus Lola-Lotus 1m54.132s
10. P2 Martin/Graves/Beche ADR-Delta ORECA-Nissan 1m54.301s
11. P2 Potolicchio/Dalziel/Sarrazin Starworks HPD 1m54.350s
12. P2 Nicolet/Lahaye/Pla OAK Morgan-Nissan 1m54.475s
13. P2 Perez Companc/Minassian/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan 1m55.151s
14. P2 Holzer/Schultis Lotus Lola-Lotus 1m55.195s
15. P2 Mailleux/Lombard/Tresson Signatech ORECA-Nissan 1m55.687s
16. P2 Zugel/Gonzalez/Julian Greaves Zytek-Nissan 1m56.531s
17. P2 Panciatici/Ragues/Rusinov Signatech ORECA-Nissan 1m56.682s
18. P2 Giroix/Ihara/Deletraz Gulf Lola-Nissan 1m57.370s
19. GTE P Mucke/Turner Aston Martin 2m03.721s
20. GTE P Lieb/Lietz Felbermayr Porsche 2m04.471s
21. GTE P Fisichella/Bruni AF Ferrari 2m05.387s
22. GTE A Ried/Roda/Ruberti Felbermayr Porsche 2m05.584s
23. GTE A Kauffman/Aguas/Waltrip AF Ferrari 2m05.836s
24. GTE P Bertolini/Beretta AF Ferrari 2m06.367s
25. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Lamy Larbre Corvette 2m06.910s
26. GTE A Camathias/Palttala/Bell JWA Porsche 2m08.848s
27. GTE A Belloc/Bourret/Gibon Larbre Corvette 2m09.155s
28. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugolo Krohn Ferrari 2m09.641s