Pirelli insists there will be no repeat of 2011's Belgian Grand Prix camber controversy this year
|By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer||Friday, August 31st 2012, 16:35 GMT|
Pirelli is confident there will be no repeat of last year's Belgian Grand Prix camber controversy, despite Friday's practice washout.
The 2011 Spa event had also featured a rain-affected Friday. Some teams subsequently had issues with tyre blistering, which Pirelli put down to them running outside its advised camber settings.
Pirelli motorsport chief Paul Hembery said the tyre firm had responded to last year's Spa issues so had no concerns about a repeat of the problem.
"We have reduced the camber advisory to 3.5-degrees front," he said.
"Last year it was 3.75 degrees, so this year is a little bit more conservative.
"We have also brought a tyre with a slightly thinner guage on the tread so there is less material at the shoulder of the tyres, and that stops overheating.
"The less material there is, the less heat build-up there is in the tyre.
"We came here and tested, and came here to test because of last year's issues to understand if everything was working well and with the information we have and the data we have we feel we are in a better position."
Asked if the FIA could force teams to follow Pirelli's camber advice, Hembery replied: "No. It is the same situation as last year... but it could be a similar situation to last year and we could advise the FIA that we felt our advice would not be possible."