Mark Webber says he is unlikely to look beyond Red Bull Racing for 2013 if results stay good
|By Jonathan Noble and Michele Lostia||Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 15:23 GMT|
Mark Webber says his future with Red Bull Racing will be decided entirely by results - and the better he does the more likely he is to stay.
Despite the Australian being strongly linked with a seat at Ferrari for 2013 on the back of some strong race showings this season, Webber believes there is every chance he will not even talk to other teams outside his current employers if he keeps doing well.
"The situation depends on the results I get this year," he said in an interview with Autosprint. "They've been very inconsistent this year. Up to the Monaco GP I hadn't even been on the podium, then I won. But qualifying has so far gone very well for me.
"As far as I'm concerned, I'm driving very well, and I see no difference with last year's situation. Obviously there's plenty of people who would like to come to Red Bull, but the question we have to ask ourselves is: does the team really want to change?
"For sure that's a question for Christian [Horner] and Adrian [Newey]. And for Dietrich [Mateschitz] and Helmut [Marko]. Let's see what happens. I can only control what I do and so far I think I have done that very well."
He added: "At the moment I don't have a contract for next year, just like at this time last year and just like the year before that. My agreements are only valid from one season to the next one, and at each expiry we have never really gone on the market, in the sense that in the end we have always renewed with Red Bull.
"Let's see how it ends up, but it can be the same again this year. That's what I mean, we don't need to go on the market because results speak for themselves."
Webber has also insisted that he has not had any discussions with Ferrari about a deal for next year, despite ongoing rumours that he is in the frame.
"There's been nothing up to now," he said. "I have no offers from Ferrari. I know people were talking a lot about that, at least until Felipe [Massa] had a good weekend in Monte Carlo. But if it was all true, then Ferrari would need to field eight cars next year! That's not possible, as there are just two cars.
"They may keep Felipe, or they may change, that's the only true option. I suppose they do talk about that in the team, but they aren't talking about that with me."