By any measure it's been a torrid few years for the McLaren Technology Group.
The Formula 1 team lost Lewis Hamilton, nurtured from childhood to 2008 world champion by Woking, after 2013. It almost simultaneously lost 'works' Mercedes engines and spent a season as a Stuttgart customer before an underwhelming switch to Honda power.
And in 2014 came the departure of CEO Martin Whitmarsh, then the return and fall of boss man Ron Dennis.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.