Sebastien Ogier sprayed champagne on his Volkswagen Polo R WRC for the first time 636 days after Dr Ulrich Hackenberg announced the firm's commitment to the World Rally Championship. Hyundai did it on Sunday, 576 after its i20 got the public green light. That's 60 days sooner.
Believe me, the maths took me a worrying amount of time to do. And I've checked it. Twice. So I know it's right. Probably.
But I was struck by how small the difference is. I thought Hyundai's gap from announcement to glory was way shorter. Then I thought back to the two launches and, more pertinently, what followed.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.