August is the time of year traditionally called 'silly season' in Formula 1, where everyone speculates on who'll end up driving for whom next season.
This year, the 'season' has been unusually quiet. Of course, the drivers at the top teams usually hold the keys to unlocking the driver market, but the big problem this time around is the fact the top seats (Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari) all look locked-in for 2015 at least.
Unless something pretty unexpected (such as Fernando Alonso following through on last year's fleeting courtship with Red Bull) happens among the big three, we need to look further down the grid to understand how the pieces may fall into place. We need to look to a former giant whose star has been on the wane recently. We need to look to McLaren.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.