Aside from a bit of salt-and-pepper in the hair, the Juan Pablo Montoya of 2014 really doesn't look all that different from the one who terrorised CART and won the Indianapolis 500 more than a decade ago. He looks even younger when he smiles, and right now he's grinning like a maniac.
This is a surprise considering, as we talk, that he's waving towards Barber Motorsport Park's Turn 5 and explaining with considerable glee that he's "getting my ass kicked" by his team-mates through that part of the track.
Getting beaten doesn't normally form part of a driver's standard modus operandi, and it certainly isn't a common source of joy. But this year - or at least, for the first part of this year - it's all in Montoya's plan.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.