Last Friday afternoon in Indianapolis, it began to rain - and Twitter went briefly mad.
Qualifying for IndyCar's inaugural race on the IMS road course had just started, but if the burst of fan-generated images that appeared on the track's official Twitter feed was any guide then the sporting spectacle had taken a back seat to a more tangible one: the huge rooster tails pluming out behind the cars as they hammered down a soaked main straight.
The long history of the Indianapolis 500 is a source of immense pride in its home city, but that passion doesn't necessarily spill over to the rest of the IndyCar schedule.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.