The sceptics will say 'we've been here before'. After all, the last time an all-American team tried to enter Formula 1 from a base in the United States things didn't end well.
The stillborn USF1 project of 2010 aimed to put the Stars and Stripes firmly on the F1 map, using home-grown drivers and cars built and run from a base in North Carolina.
But the project hit the skids following repeated delays and funding problems, and folded before any car had even come close to turning a wheel in anger.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.