The time always comes when dominant forces in grand prix racing are toppled. After steamrollering the opposition over the past four years, Red Bull goes into a season in the most uncertain shape since it emerged as a race-winning force in 2009.
On pre-season testing form, retaining the world championship is inconceivable. But this is Red Bull and it has set new standards in recent years. Write off Adrian Newey's squad at your peril.
As Sebastian Vettel has pointed out during pre-season testing, the unnerving thing about this situation is that he has no idea how good the car really is.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.