"Well, that's pessimistic!"
This was Sebastian Vettel's response when asked by Rachel Brooks of Sky Sports News whether double points for the season finale, which he has previously criticised, might now be a good thing for Red Bull given its far from flying start. The implication being that back-loading the season points wise might suit the team playing catch-up very nicely indeed.
It was a wittily-posed question, but one that captured the inescapable truth that Red Bull's struggles remains the story of pre-season testing. After all, the squad that has generally steamrollered the opposition over the past few years has now racked up the grand total of 35 laps in five days of pre-season following today's record haul of 14.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.