Smaller engines, reduced aero and heavier cars. It doesn't sound like a recipe for a great Formula 1, but there's more to it than that.
The torque of the 1.6-litre turbos and the increased power from the regenerative systems means the 2014 cars are a handful. And fun, according to some of the drivers.
AUTOSPORT has gathered together the thoughts and feelings of some of those who have given the cars their first on-track miles at Jerez this week, tackling the main themes that have developed so far.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.