You and I have both been in this position before on the roads. It's the one where the snow has started the melt and sits - as slush - between our tyres and mother earth.
First thing we do? Grip the wheel harder, shut our eyes and say a silent one to the big fella above.
Robert Kubica, a man who a few years ago wouldn't take a slick anywhere near snow, had other ideas. He was motoring along the D116, just outside Orpierre, south-west of Gap, when he found himself in just that position.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.