You and I have both been in this position before on the roads. It's the one where the snow has started the melt and sits - as slush - between our tyres and mother earth.
First thing we do? Grip the wheel harder, shut our eyes and say a silent one to the big fella above.
Robert Kubica, a man who a few years ago wouldn't take a slick anywhere near snow, had other ideas. He was motoring along the D116, just outside Orpierre, south-west of Gap, when he found himself in just that position.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.