The process for selecting the best up-and-coming British motorsport talent has evolved a lot over the history of the McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award. Inaugural winner David Coulthard was simply chosen on the back of his fine Formula Ford performances in 1989, but the system is now rather more complex and analytical.
This year's judges - BRDC president Derek Warwick, double British Touring Car champion Jason Plato, former GT ace and Award winner Andrew Kirkaldy, McLaren head of vehicle engineering Mark Williams, leading commentator Ian Titchmarsh and yours truly - had access to a fantastic amount of data.
Here's how we worked towards the decision that will be announced at the AUTOSPORT Awards on Sunday.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.