Esteban Gutierrez made a surprising admission at last year's Brazilian Grand Prix when he faced the press for the first time since being confirmed as a Sauber driver.
Far from the usual bluster of someone stepping up to Formula 1, he declared frankly that "it doesn't make sense to say I am 100 per cent ready; it is difficult to say or judge right now how ready I am."
Inevitably, this grabbed the headlines. But while the Mexican later back-pedalled, what he said was entirely correct. There's no shame in it, for the combination of the testing limits and the complexity of a 21st-century grand prix car makes it incredibly difficult for any rookie legitimately to describe himself as ready.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.