Realistically, the Belgian Grand Prix marked the end of Kimi Raikkonen's 2013 world championship hopes.
The gap of 63 points to Sebastian Vettel is not impossible to close, but given the relative pace of the Lotus E21 the Finn simply does not have the tools at his disposal to repeat his feat of 2007, when he closed a gap equivalent to 60 points in 'new money' to Lewis Hamilton to win the title. But there is hope...
Lotus will try out a long-wheelbase version of its Lotus E21 at Monza, as revealed by AUTOSPORT last week. Achieved by angling the front suspension forward and expected to extend the wheelbase by approximately 100mm, at least one version of this new specification Lotus, which has been in the works for some time, will be unleashed.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.