Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Button: Bold strategies will be hard to make work because everyone is doing them

Jenson Button reckons it could be difficult to use a bold strategy to move through the field in the Monaco Grand Prix as there are so many drivers out of position following qualifying

McLaren driver Button only managed 12th on the Monte Carlo grid after a puzzling struggle for pace on Saturday afternoon.

With the Spanish GP-winning Williams of Pastor Maldonado starting on the back row, Kimi Raikkonen's rapid Lotus eighth and points leader Sebastian Vettel ninth, Button thinks there will be various drivers trying gambles like the one-stop strategy Vettel pulled off on the way to winning the 2011 race.

"The problem is I don't think I'm going to be the first car that's thinking about doing another strategy," said Button.

"What Sebastian did in Q3 proves that he was looking at doing the strategy he did last year, which I think is probably what he's going to plan on, which I think makes the race very difficult for everyone behind if they were thinking of doing something different.

"But I do think we've got to try something a little bit different."

Having struggled for race pace in recent rounds, Button said he hoped that he could at least make some progress with solving his current issues during the Monaco GP.

"I'm obviously doing something wrong and I've just got to work out what it is," he said. "Maybe it's in terms of setting the car up, and it's something I've got to sort out sooner rather than later because I'm losing a lot of points, especially over the last couple of races.

"We've got to find the issues and move forward. I'm confident that we can, it's not getting me down that much.

"I'm looking forward to having a good race, finding out more as we go along, and finding a balance and grip that suits me."

Previous article Whitmarsh convinced that McLaren is still in the hunt in 2012
Next article Mark Webber becomes sixth winner in six races after charging to Monaco GP victory

Top Comments

Latest news