Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 25 stories this month. After 30, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 50 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 30 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 50 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Sergio Perez says 2011 Monaco crash made him stronger

Sergio Perez, Monaco crash 2011Sergio Perez says he returns to the Monaco Grand Prix a much stronger driver one year on from his horrifying crash in qualifying.

The Mexican made it through to Q3 in Monaco last season, but lost control of his Sauber as he hit the brakes on the section of track of track after the tunnel. His car hit the wall on the right hand side before spinning sideways into the barriers at the famous chicane.

Perez suffered concussion in the accident, which forced him to miss the Monaco race - and also put him out of the Canadian event a fortnight later as he had not fully recovered.

Reflecting on the events of that weekend, Perez said that he learned a great deal which is why he is more confident about his chances in Monaco this time out.

"This grand prix is the most special one for me," he said on Friday. "I have been waiting to race in the Monaco GP all my life and, of course, after what happened last year I am looking forward to it even more.

"I strongly believe on this track the driver can make more of a difference than on any other track. As a team we are in good shape and I want to keep that momentum for Monaco. I also think our car can perform quite well on that unique city circuit.

"Of course I also think back to the accident I had in Q3 last year. To me it is like a watershed event in my career. There is a time before and a time after the accident. I learnt a lot from what I had to go through and I think it made me stronger. I really want to show what I can do in Monte Carlo."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Perez: Crash won't hold me back
Haymarket