Citroen World Rally team boss intends Argentina team orders to be a one-off
|By David Evans
||Sunday, May 6th 2012, 15:00 GMT
Citroen team principal Yves Matton has admitted he hopes not to have to use team orders again during the 2012 World Rally Championship season.
The Belgian instructed Sebastien Loeb and Mikko Hirvonen to hold positions one and two on last week's Rally Argentina after the Ford team slipped back and was unable to challenge Citroen in South America.
Ford's sole finisher on the event was Petter Solberg, who claimed sixth position, although Dani Sordo had run third until a final-stage alternator problem.
Matton, who took the decision to tell his drivers - split by just 2.1 seconds at the time – to hold station midway through Saturday, said he hoped the rivalry with Ford would be renewed so that there would be no need for team orders in the future.
"A lot of things have been happening at the start of the rallies in this year's championship," said Matton, "and I hope that in the next rallies there will be a good fight with all of the drivers and the gap will be very close right until the end.
"Last year we saw many rallies where the event was decided by just a few seconds. But it is not my fault that our two drivers haven't been so much help for the other drivers..."