Arthur Pic made it two poles from two races as he topped qualifying for the second Formula Renault 3.5 race of the weekend at Aragon.
The DAMS driver had a torrid first race after his car struggled to pull away from pole, later crashing out after a collision with Jake Rosenzweig. However, he bounced back on Sunday morning to dominate second qualifying.
Pic moved to the front 12 minutes into the session, and he would hold pole position from then on. On his final three laps at the end he went faster each time, keeping him out of reach even as his pursuers also improved.
There was plenty of position swapping just behind him, where Lotus driver Marco Sorensen came out on top of a scrap with both Tech 1 and Fortec drivers to take the second spot on the front row.
Tech 1's Kevin Korjus and Jules Bianchi had held second and third spots just before then, but they had to settle for sixth and seventh on the grid as Fortec's Robin Frijns and Carlos Huertas knocked them back. A late effort from Sam Bird got him up the front too, and he will start fourth alongside Frijns.
Korjus and Bianchi paid the price for not completing hot laps as the chequered flag came out. The Estonian toured back to the pits with a misfiring engine on his final lap, while Bianchi abandoned his last effort.
Walter Grubmuller was shuffled back to eighth place after being one of the first runners to take a second set of tyres, while the top 10 was completed by Nico Muller and Kevin Magnussen.
Race one winner Nick Yelloly was only ever in contention for a position towards the bottom of the top 10, and in the end he had to settle for 13th on the grid.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m39.194s
2. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m39.460s + 0.266s
3. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m39.524s + 0.330s
4. Sam Bird ISR 1m39.811s + 0.617s
5. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m39.822s + 0.628s
6. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 1m40.038s + 0.844s
7. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m40.054s + 0.860s
8. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m40.059s + 0.865s
9. Nico Muller Draco 1m40.110s + 0.916s
10. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m40.221s + 1.027s
11. Richie Stanaway Lotus 1m40.230s + 1.036s
12. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m40.255s + 1.061s
13. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m40.488s + 1.294s
14. Daniil Move P1 1m40.574s + 1.380s
15. Alexander Rossi Arden 1m40.597s + 1.403s
16. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m40.699s + 1.505s
17. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m40.745s + 1.551s
18. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m40.755s + 1.561s
19. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m40.812s + 1.618s
20. Will Stevens Carlin 1m40.813s + 1.619s
21. Giovanni Venturini BVM Target 1m40.874s + 1.680s
22. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m40.924s + 1.730s
23. Anton Nebylitskiy RFR 1m41.093s + 1.899s
24. Lewis Williamson Arden 1m41.271s + 2.077s
25. Andre Negrao Draco 1m41.346s + 2.152s
26. Yann Cunha Pons 1m41.963s + 2.769s