Coloni could build Auto GP's new single-seater for 2013 season
|By Peter Mills||Friday, April 27th 2012, 13:39 GMT|
Coloni could build Auto GP's new-for-2013 car itself, the Italian constructor has revealed.
Series boss Enzo Coloni announced earlier this month that a new machine will be introduced next year and told AUTOSPORT that while the current Zytek engine and gearbox will be retained, a decision has yet to be taken on whether the new machine will simply be an update of the existing Lola monococque and aero package, or whether it will be replaced with an all-new ground-up design.
"There are two options," Coloni told AUTOSPORT. "The first is to change the monocoque and the bodywork, but retain the engine and gearbox. The other to keep the Lola monocoque and change the bodywork to look similar to current Formula 1 cars."
Cost implications for teams are understood to be the key factor in determining which proposal will be accepted.
"The technical drawings will be finished by May 30. After that we will make a decision which option we go with, considering cost and time," he added. "But I am sure the car will change. By early October it would be necessary to have any new chassis finished."
The new car, which could be Coloni's first such single-seater since the CN1 that formed the basis of Formula Nissan from 1998-2002 and allowed Fernando Alonso, Marc Gene and Antonio Garcia to make names for themselves, is likely to be paired with an expanded calendar. Events in Russia and Japan are under consideration.
To find out more about Enzo Coloni's masterplan for Auto GP in 2013, read his full interview with AUTOSPORT's Peter Mills.