Marco Andretti backs Chevrolet IndyCar engine changes
|By Mark Glendenning||Saturday, April 14th 2012, 02:31 GMT|
Marco Andretti has backed Chevrolet's decision to change all of its engines ahead of this weekend's IndyCar race at Long Beach, despite admitting that the resultant penalty has set him up for a difficult weekend.
The manufacturer opted to recall all of its units following an engine failure on Andretti Autosport's James Hinchliffe's car during testing at Sears Point last week. Following an inspection, it decided to change the units on all Chevrolet-powered cars, meaning they were hit with 10-place grid penalties.
Andretti, who was quickest in Friday practice at Long Beach, said that he was disappointed to already be on the back foot before even qualifying, but said that the low stocks of spare engines meant that it was the right decision.
"That [engine change] is kind of the dark cloud," he said. "It's demoralising, to be honest, especially if you have a pole car.
"Right now, it comes down to availability of engines for Indy [the Indianapolis 500]. I tell you what, if I don't have an engine for Indy, I'm going to be upset. I'd rather take the 10 positions here. I think it would be a big risk. If we blow up three or four of these things for the same reason that blew up Hinch, then we're in big trouble for Indianapolis."