Andretti Autosport adds Ana Beatriz to IndyCar line-up for Sao Paulo and Indianapolis 500
|Thursday, April 5th 2012, 23:46 GMT|
Ana Beatriz will return to the IndyCar Series with Andretti Autosport for the Sao Paulo street race and the Indianapolis 500.
The Brazilian had her first full campaign in the championship with Dreyer & Reinbold last season, finishing 21st in the standings with a best result of 11th in Toronto.
Beatriz's car will be run with assistance from Conquest Racing, which is not currently fielding an IndyCar team.
Andretti Autosport chief Michael Andretti said Beatriz had caught his eye when winning races in Indy Lights. The 27-year-old finished third in the feeder championship in 2008.
"I've been watching Bia for a few years," said Andretti. "She was very strong in Firestone Indy Lights, and I was impressed by the pace she showed there. This opportunity is a good fit for us as a team."
Beatriz has already had a one-day test with Andretti Autosport during the winter.
"Driving for Andretti Autosport is the biggest opportunity I've had in IndyCar and my career," she said. "I am very honoured to be part of Michael's team for Brazil and the Indy 500."
Andretti is running James Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti in full-time deals this year, and had already announced a fourth car for the Indy 500 for test driver Sebastian Saavedra.