The DKR Lamborghini of Manuel Lauck and Christopher Haase briefly overshadowed the FIA World GT1 title fight by setting the fastest time in the opening practice session at San Luis this morning.
On his 2011 debut outing in the category, former Reiter Lamborghini racer Haase recorded the best lap of 2m16.681s.
Title favourites Lucas Luhr and Michael Krumm were 0.308 seconds adrift in second place. In order to seal the drivers' crown, the JRM Nissan GT-R duo must finish within 11 points, or better, of Young Driver Aston Martin pair Stefan Mucke and Darren Turner's weekend score.
In addition, Luhr and Krumm require only three points, equivalent of a fourth place in Saturday's qualifying race, to eliminate the three other driver pairings competing for the title.
The Germans will not have been upset to witness Turner and Mucke ending the morning ninth fastest, almost one second astray of the leading Lamborghini
JR Motorsports' sister GT-R of Richard Westbrook and Peter Dumbreck claimed third.
Markus Winkelhock and Marc Basseng's All-Inkl Lamborghini took fourth place, 0.147s ahead of the Young Driver Aston of Alex Muller and Tomas Enge.
Winkelhock and Basseng lie third in the title race, 30 points off the lead, while Muller and Enge are very much outsiders as the fifth pairing left mathematically in contention.
Christoffer Nygaard and Jonathan Hirschi was top Ford in ninth for Belgian Racing.
Pos Drivers Team/Car Time Gap
1. Lauck/Haase DKR Lamborghini 2m16.681s
2. Luhr/Krumm JRM Nissan 2m16.989s + 0.308s
3. Westbrook/Dumbreck JRM Nissan 2m17.108s + 0.427s
4. Winkelhock/Basseng All-Inkl Lamborghini 2m17.201s + 0.520s
5. Muller/Enge Young Driver Aston 2m17.348s + 0.667s
6. Schwager/Pastorelli All-Inkl Lamborghini 2m17.410s + 0.729s
7. Brabham/Campbell-Walter Sumo Power Nissan 2m17.452s + 0.771s
8. Pastorelli/Buurman Exim Corvette 2m17.499s + 0.818s
9. Turner/Mucke Young Driver Aston 2m17.610s + 0.929s
10. Hirschi/Nygaard Belgian Ford 2m17.640s + 0.959s
11. Piccione/Dusseldorp Hexis Aston 2m17.756s + 1.075s
12. Leinders/Risatti Marc VDS Ford 2m17.793s + 1.112s
13. Martin/Clairay Marc VDS Ford 2m17.847s + 1.166s
14. Kennard/Bruck DKR Lamborghini 2m17.889s + 1.208s
15. Palttala/Leclerc Belgian Ford 2m18.003s + 1.322s
16. Hohenadel/Piccini Hexis Aston 2m18.320s + 1.639s
17. Bernoldi/Catsburg Sumo Power Nissan 2m19.170s + 2.489s
18. Rossi/Verdonck Exim Corvette 2m19.401s + 2.720s