Bruno Spengler promises maximum attack in DTM title battle at Valencia
|By Jamie O'Leary||Friday, September 30th 2011, 17:17 GMT|
Bruno Spengler has promised he'll be on maximum attack during this weekend's DTM round at Valencia in a bid to take the title battle down to the Hockenheim finale in October.
The HWA Mercedes driver has traded the championship lead with Martin Tomzcyk all year, but a late retirement at Oschersleben last time out - due to a broken damper - has dropped him nine points behind the Phoenix Audi driver.
While this is the furthest off the series lead he has been all year, the Canadian - who let a 17-point lead over eventual champion Paul di Resta slip away last year – has vowed not to give up.
"I've put my Oschersleben retirement behind me now," Spengler said. "Motor racing is an unpredictable sport and sometimes you have to expect bad luck.
"I'll be attacking in the last two races and going all-out to win the championship – there is still everything to play for. My team and I certainly aren't giving up."
Tomczyk, meanwhile, is taking nothing for granted, despite Audi having triumphed at the circuit last year.
He pointed to the dramas of qualifying at Oschersleben – during which he could only manage 14th on the grid after going the wrong way on set-up – as an indication of the fine line between victory and defeat.
"Arriving at Valencia with nine points of advantage is nice, but we still have to work hard in a focused manner," he said. "Oschersleben showed how quickly something can happen."
Only one other driver can win the title with two races to go; Abt Audi's Mattias Ekstrom, who has had two wins and a second place from the last three events and won at Valencia last year.
The Swede, already a two-time DTM champion, is 19 points behind Tomczyk with only 20 still available.