Peugeot got its 2011 Petit Le Mans campaign off to a perfect start by sealing a 1-2 finish in a truncated first practice at Road Atlanta.
Audi had set the pace for much of the session, which had to be extended by 30 minutes after lengthy repairs to the wall and fencing were needed following a clash between the No.11 JDX Porsche and the No.24 Oak Pescarolo-Judd - which reported a brake failure - at Turn 5.
When the session finally resumed Tom Kristensen kept Audi ahead until Peugeot made their move with 20 minutes remaining.
Simon Pagenaud was the first driver to dip into the 1m09s as he pulled almost 2s clear of the field, only to find himself demoted to second eight minutes later as Stephane Sarrazin shaved just over a tenth off to go quickest in the No.8 908.
Audi closed in, as Marcel Fassler took over the No.1 R18 and Dindo Capello the No.2. Neither driver was able to come within 0.9s of Sarrazin's benchmark however, handing Peugeot the early advantage.
The leading American Le Mans Series entry was the No.16 Dyson Lola-Mazda of Dyson, Smith and Cochran, which finished sixth fastest, 2.5s off the outright pace.
In LMP2 Marino Franchitti put the No.055 HPD top in the closing stages of the session, edging out the No.26 Signatech ORECA Nissan which had set the pace under the guidance of Lucas Ordonez.
Rudy Junco topped LMPC in the No.06 CORE Autosport ORECA.
Toni Vilander topped a typically tight GT class in the No.062 AF Corse Ferrari, just 53 thousandths clear of Dirk Muller in the lead No.56 BMW M3. The top five drivers were separated by less than four tenths of a second.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. LMP1 Montagny/Sarrazin/Wurz Peugeot 1m09.603s
2. LMP1 Davidson/Bourdais/Pagenaud Peugeot 1m09.727s
3. LMP1 Bernhard/Dumas/Fassler Audi 1m10.562s
4. LMP1 Capello/Kristensen/McNish Audi 1m10.644s
5. LMP1 Lapierre/Minassian/Gene ORECA Peugeot 1m11.284s
6. LMP1 Dyson/Smith/Cochran Dyson Lola 1m12.118s
7. LMP1 Lahaye/Moreau/Ragues Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m12.167s
8. LMP1 Al Masaood/Kane/Leitzinger Dyson Lola-Mazda 1m12.792s
9. LMP1 Luhr/Graf/Pickett Muscle Milk Lola 1m12.952s
10. LMP1 Prost/Jani/Belicchi Rebellion Lola 1m13.096s
11. LMP1 Fernandez/Primat/Mucke AMR Lola-Aston 1m13.342s
12. LMP2 Tucker/Diaz/Franchitti Level 5 HPD 1m14.278s
13. LMP2 Mailleux/Ordonez/Vernay Signatech Nissan 1m15.225s
14. LMP1 Yvon/Premat/Pla Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m15.574s
15. LMP1 Burgess/McMurry/Willman Autocon Lola-AER 1m16.198s
16. LMPC Jeannette/Gonzalez/Junco CORE Autosport FLM 1m17.429s
17. LMP2 Brown/Johansson/Patterson Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m17.619s
18. LMPC Mitchell/Grogor/Kronfli Genoa FLM 1m17.635s
19. LMP2 Tucker/Bouchut/Barbosa Level 5 HPD 1m17.700s
20. LMPC Lux/Julian/Zugel/Grogor Genoa FLM 1m17.731s
21. LMP2 Barlesi/da Rocha/Lafargue Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m17.904s
22. LMPC Bennett/Montecalvo/Dalziel CORE Autosport FLM 1m18.361s
23. LMPC Dobson/Richard/Lewis PR1 Mathiasen FLM 1m19.964s
24. LMPC Ducote/Ducote/Marcelli/Drissi Intersport FLM 1m19.995s
25. GT Melo/Vilander/Matos Risi Ferrari 1m20.205s
26. GT Priaulx/Hand/Muller BMW M3 1m20.258s
27. LMPC Nicolosi/Boon/Lueders Performance Tech FLM 1m20.309s
28. GT Fisichella/Bruni/Kaffer AF Corse Ferrari 1m20.493s
29. GT Bergmeister/Long/Pilet Flying Lizard Porsche 1m20.556s
30. GT Beretta/Milner/Garcia Corvette 1m20.595s
31. GT Sharp/van Overbeek/Farnbacher Extreme Speed Ferrari 1m20.638s
32. GT Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook Corvette 1m20.833s
33. GT Farfus/Werner/Auberlen BMW M3 1m20.864s
34. GT Ortelli/Makowiecki/Beltoise Luxury Ferrari 1m20.954s
35. GT Brown/Cosmo/Bell Extreme Speed Ferrari 1m21.253s
36. GT Law/Neiman/Holzer Flying Lizard Porsche 1m21.578s
37. GT Sellers/Henzler/Ragginer Falken Porsche 1m21.807s
38. GTE-A Bornhauser/Canal/Gardel Larbre Corvette 1m22.167s
39. GT Firman/Jakubowski/Halliday Luxury Ferrari 1m22.273s
40. GT Roberston/Murry/Snow Doran Ford GT-Elan 1m22.376s
41. GT Miller/Maassen/Collard Miller Porsche 1m22.708s
42. GTE-A Lietz/Ried/Bulitt Proton Porsche 1m22.770s
43. GTE-A Kauffman/Aguas/Bell AF Corse Ferrari 1m22.862s
44. GTE-A Ehret/Mullen/Wills CRS Ferrari 1m23.484s
45. GTE-A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugulo Krohn Ferrari 1m23.930s
46. GT Junqueira/Da Matta/James RSR Jaguar 1m24.699s
47. GTC Pappas/Bleekemolen/Bleekemolen Black Swan Porsche 1m25.143s
48. GTC Sweedler/Wong/Keen Alex Job Porsche 1m25.218s
49. GTC Ende/Pumpelly/Ludwig TRG Porsche 1m25.454s
50. GTC von Moltke/Keating/Norman TRG Porsche 1m25.762s
51. GTE-A Giroix/Goethe/Wainwright Gulf Aston Martin 1m25.963s
52. GTC Langhorne/Carter/Plumb JDX Porsche 1m27.995s
53. GT Jones/Moran/Lewis RSR Jaguar 1m29.406s
54. GT Rossiter/Mowlem/Hansson Jetalliance Lotus 1m32.288s