Sarrazin denies Audi a 1-2 finish with late effort in first practice
|By Sam Tremayne
||Friday, September 9th 2011, 13:36 GMT
Stephane Sarrazin denied Audi a 1-2 finish with a late flying effort in the opening practice session of the AUTOSPORT 6 Hours of Silverstone.
The #8 Peugeot 908 Sarrazin shares with Franck Montagny had languished a little during the session, dropping as low as seventh before Sarrazin jumped into the lead ten minutes from the end.
His 1m47.755s effort stood for the remainder of the session, giving Peugeot the early advantage.
Audi looked quick however, holding a 1-2 for the majority of the session - 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours winner Marcel Fassler going fastest early on. His effort looked enough until Peugeot's late surge, with the #1 Audi ending 0.211s down in second.
The sister #2 of Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen also ran well and ended third fastest, 0.325s off the ultimate pace.
The #7 Peugeot of Sebastien Bourdais and Simon Pagenaud - in for the injured Anthony Davidson - finished fourth fastest, but there were encouraging signs for Rebellion Racing as Neel Jani regularly broke the Audi-Peugeot top four domination.
Jani was ultimately denied by a late effort from Pagenaud, but he finished fifth fastest, within 1s of Sarrazin's benchmark.
LMP2 turned into a straight fight between the #26 Signatech and the #46 TDS Racing ORECA - Nissans.
Franck Mailleux eventually put the Signatech on top, less than three hundredths of a second clear of the TDS.
The #41 Graves Motorsport Zytek Nissan, #40 Race Performance ORECA and #42 Strakka HPD also weighed in however, with the lead-five LMP2 cars all covered by less than half a second.
GTE Pro was dominated by Ferrari, which took a 1-2-3 in the form of the #51 AF Corse, #59 Luxury Racing and #66 JMW Motorsport 458s.
Giancarlo Fisichella set the overall pace for AF Corse, ending more than 1s clear of Stephane Ortelli and Frederic Makowiecki, who is missing the penultimate FIA GT1 round at Beijing.
The #67 IMSA Porsche of Raymond Narac and Nicolas Armindo edged out the #57 Krohn Ferrari 430 to finish fastest in GTE Am.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. LMP1 Montagny/Sarrazin Peugeot 1m47.755s
2. LMP1 Bernhard/Fassler Audi 1m47.966s
3. LMP1 Kristensen/McNish Audi 1m48.080s
4. LMP1 Davidson/Bourdais/Pagenaud Peugeot 1m48.424s
5. LMP1 Prost/Jani Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m48.694s
6. LMP1 Belicchi/Boullion Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m49.849s
7. LMP1 Lahaye/Moreau/Ragues Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m49.961s
8. LMP1 Nicolet/Premat/Pla Oak Pescarolo-Judd 1m51.881s
9. LMP1 Collard/Tinseau/Jousse Pescarolo-Judd 1m52.277s
10. LMP2 Mailleux/Ordonez/Vernay Signatech ORECA-Nissan 1m53.465s
11. LMP2 Beche/Thiriet/Firth TDS ORECA-Nissan 1m53.493s
12. LMP2 Ojjeh/Kimber-Smith/Lombard Greaves Zytek-Nissan 1m53.800s
13. LMP2 Frey/Meichtry/Rostan Race Performance ORECA-Judd 1m53.811s
14. LMP1 Fernandez/Primat/Klien AMR Lola-Aston 1m53.884s
15. LMP2 Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka HPD 1m53.944s
16. LMP2 Kraihamer/Ebbesvik Boutsen ORECA-Nissan 1m55.270s
17. LMP1 Cortes/Geri/Picini MIK Zytek 1m55.600s
18. LMP2 Companc/Russo/Kaffer Pecom Lola-Judd 1m55.681s
19. LMP2 Newton/Erdos/Collins RML HPD 1m56.533s
20. LMP2 Gates/Hughes/Garofall RLR MG Lola-Judd 1m56.766s
21. FLM Schultis/Simon/Schell Pegasus FLM 1m59.260s
22. FLM Hartshorne/Keating/Keen Neil Garner FLM 2m00.220s
23. LMP2 Barlesi/da Rocha/Lafargue Oak Pescarolo-Judd 2m01.438s
24. GTE-P Fisichella/Bruni AF Corse Ferrari 2m02.647s
25. GTE-P Ortelli/Makowiecki Luxury Ferrari 2m03.774s
26. GTE-P Bell/Walker JMW Ferrari 2m04.015s
27. GTE-P Farfus/Muller BMW 2m04.183s
28. GTE-P Farnbacher/Simonsen Farnbacher Ferrari 2m04.387s
29. GTE-P Priaulx/Alzen BMW 2m04.393s
30. GTE-P Melo/Vilander AF Corse Ferrari 2m04.606s
31. FLM Marcelli/Ducote/Moro JMB FLM 2m04.984s
32. GTE-P Lieb/Lietz Felbermayr Porsche 2m05.070s
33. GTE-P Pilet/Henzler IMSA Porsche 2m05.314s
34. GTE-P Hancock/Dolan/Buncombe Jota Aston Martin 2m05.786s
35. GTE-P Goossens/Holzer Prospeed Porsche 2m05.964s
36. GTE-P Jakubowski/Beltoise/Marroc Luxury Ferrari 2m06.036s
37. GTE-A Narac/Armindo IMSA Porsche 2m06.402s
38. GTE-A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugulo Krohn Ferrari 2m06.455s
39. GTE-P Broniszewski/Peter Kessel Ferrari 2m06.586s
40. GTE-A Roda/Long Proton Porsche 2m07.287s
41. GTE-A Bornhauser/Canal/Gardel Larbre Corvette 2m07.886s
42. GTE-A Perazzini/Cioci/Lemeret AF Corse Ferrari 2m07.948s
43. GTE-A Ehret/Lynn/Wills CRS Ferrari 2m08.199s
44. GTE-A Giroix/Goethe/Wainwright Gulf Aston Martin 2m08.576s
45. GTE-A Hummel/Christodoulou/Quaife CRS Ferrari 2m09.020s
46. GTE-A Felbermayr/Ried Felbermayr Porsche 2m10.085s
47. GTE-P Lichtner-Hoyer/Rich/Hansson Jetalliance Lotus 2m14.593s
48. FLM Mitchell/Grogor/Kronfli Genoa FLM -