Robert Kubica moves into next phase of rehab after successful surgery
|By Simon Strang and Michele Lostia||Sunday, August 28th 2011, 18:29 GMT|
Robert Kubica can now begin the next phase of his rehabilitation from his injuries after a final operation on his damaged right elbow was successfully completed on Sunday.
A Renault press release confirmed that its driver underwent 'one last scheduled operation' to recover the full mobility of his right elbow, damaged when Kubica who suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash during the Ronde di Andora Rally on February 6.
Surgeons said they had encountered no complications and that the operation had been a 'total success'
Speaking to Italian television broadcaster RAI, Kubica's manager Daniele Morelli said: "Robert has left the surgery room just a few minutes ago. Luckily I can confirm that the operation was completely successful, so the whole elbow joint has been restored and functionality is now fine.
"Certainly this one will be the final surgery, so we can say that tomorrow starts the final phase with full recovery of the arm movement functionality, and Robert will be able to start training specifically to regain full control of his functionality."
Morelli added that it was still far too soon to know when Kubica might return to the cockpit of a Formula 1 car, but that the 26-year-old Pole's future might become clearer by mid-October.
"It's useless to think too far ahead at the moment," he said. "The fundamental thing is that we are certain Robert has found again his full capability to return to racing. Let's now let nature take its course and allow Robert to regain the physical strength that was obviously lost after so many months of hospitalisation and surgeries. However today is certainly very positive and the final phase starts tomorrow.
"With it we'll be able to know, within a month or a month and a half at most, when Robert will be able to get back on the track."
Speaking of the seven months recovery that Kubica has been through since the crash which partially severed the Pole's right arm, Morelli said: "He's had many different phases. The first three months were the emergency phase, when Robert perhaps wouldn't even realise how serious his case was and how complex were the consequences.
"When he fully realised he surely reacted in the best possible way, constructively. He's obviously had highs and lows, with a bit more sadness during racing weekends because he obviously couldn't participate, but as for the rest I'd say he's focused on his return.
"Not just Robert, but we all want to start putting behind all these feelings, and start thinking about what we can do as soon as possible."