Casey Stoner showed that Yamaha will not have things its own way at the Indianapolis Grand Prix by going fastest for Honda in the second free practice session at the legendary Brickyard.
Stoner had trailed morning pace-setter Ben Spies for most of the session, but flew to the top of the timesheets with a 1m40.828s lap with four minutes to go, and then moved further ahead by lapping in 1m40.724s on his final flying effort.
Stoner somehow avoided a late crash by taking the whole weight of his bike on his right knee after losing the front end, just a lap after almost colliding with a gopher that ran across the track.
Spies was 0.194s slower, but retained second place ahead of Dani Pedrosa's Honda and his own Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo.
As well as the order at the sharp end having a much more familiar look about it than during the morning session, the times were much quicker too - almost three seconds better, in fact - as more rubber was laid down on the new track surface.
Andrea Dovizioso made it all three works Hondas in the top five with Colin Edwards next up on his Tech 3 Yamaha.
Gresini Honda rider Marco Simoncelli, Ducati's Nicky Hayden and Suzuki rider Alvaro Bautista were next up while Pramac Ducati rider Randy de Puniet was impressively 10th fastest and a spot ahead of Valentino Rossi's works machine.
Rossi twice went off the circuit after running on at corners, but stayed on the bike each time and avoided the barriers.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 1m40.724s
2. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m40.918s + 0.194s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m41.205s + 0.481s
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m41.461s + 0.737s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m41.536s + 0.812s
6. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.699s + 0.975s
7. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m41.742s + 1.018s
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.789s + 1.065s
9. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m42.231s + 1.507s
10. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m42.339s + 1.615s
11. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m42.405s + 1.681s
12. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 1m42.673s + 1.949s
13. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m42.920s + 2.196s
14. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 1m43.034s + 2.310s
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m43.085s + 2.361s
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m43.230s + 2.506s
17. Karel Abraham Cardion AB Ducati 1m43.528s + 2.804s