Kubica determined to be on the grid in 2012 following his accident
|By Pablo Elizalde||Thursday, July 14th 2011, 08:36 GMT|
Robert Kubica is adamant he will be on the Formula 1 grid at the start of next year as he continues with his recovery following his accident.
The Renault driver was sidelined for the season following a dramatic crash during a rally in February.
He has been recovering from his injuries since then, and while there is no date set for his comeback, the Pole says he is determined to be back in action next year.
"Yes to the first question," said Kubica when asked if he would be on the grid next year.
Speaking about his hopes of fighting to the title, he said: "We will have to wait until the first test in 2012."
The Pole does not believe the crash will affect his performance when he gets back on track, as he says it feels as if it hadn't happened.
"I don't think so - I don't have any memory of the accident, and I am just aware of the consequences it had. So, to me, it's as if it never happened," he added.
He said he is feeling happy about how his recovery is going, but insists he is not thinking about his comeback, but rather about recovering well.
"Physically, I am still a bit weak but my general condition is quite good," he said. "My weight has now returned to its normal level and for a few weeks I've been able to walk without help. All in all I feel pretty well.
"I am satisfied with how things are proceeding. The improvement is in line with the expectations, and luckily there are no complications that could affect the recovery time. It is still too early to have a clear picture for the timing of my return but the important thing is the final outcome not the hurry."
And Kubica made it clear there are no doubts about which team he will drive for when he returns.
"I'm a Lotus Renault GP driver. Of course, I'm missing not being able to drive this season but I feel that my job in Enstone isn't finished yet."