Bahrain call 'nothing to do with money'
|By Pablo Elizalde||Friday, June 3rd 2011, 09:51 GMT|
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the decision about whether the Bahrain GP will be back on the calendar or not has nothing to do with money.
The FIA is to decide on the future of this year's event today, having already postponed the decision at the start of last month.
Ecclestone has said several times that he is hoping the race goes ahead, although it would mean finishing the season on December 11 after rescheduling the Indian Grand Prix to fit Bahrain.
The Briton said, however, that the decision will not be influenced by financial aspects, even if the sport faces a $40 million loss.
"Nothing to do with money at all. Nothing, in any shape or form," Ecclestone told Reuters Television in Barcelona, where FIA's World Motor sport Council is meeting.
"This has to do with whether people... I don't know, to be honest, with this occasion whether people are concerned with their safety if they go or whether people are concerned with what has happened in the past.
"What has happened in that whole area, in all those countries, is not good in any way, so we will have to wait and see."
Read more about the Bahrain GP decision in this week's Weekly Grapevine.